Monday, August 23, 2010

Zero Day

Ginger left the trail yesterday after a secure night in Bear Hollow shelter. We fell asleep to the rain bouncing off the roof...a little to loud but we were happy to have shelter for the night. Setting up your tent in the rain is a hiker's most dreaded task. It was really fun to spend the days happily conversing and walking with Ginger. She and I met in the UVM master gardener class a couple of winters ago and quickly discovered we had more in common than our interest in gardening. I'm glad you felt a renewed sense of connection with the outdoors and the mountains Ginger. Let's try hard to make that hiking group a reality! Thank you for being with me on this journey...

When Ginger left, I picked up my dear old friend Jean (White) Tufts and her dad Dennis. We made our way to Roundtop Shelter, again, just in time before the really heavy night rain came in. Jean and Dennis have gone on today to Corliss Camp (8 miles) so I will catch up with them tomorrow. Today I'm hanging at the shelter so I can properly time my next meeting spot with the Reverend Lyle Miller and hopefully some of his family. Lyle's wife lives with Parkinson's. Tomorrow is their fifty-second wedding anniversary!! Let's all wish them the best. Now, that's what I would call a successful journey! Wishing you lots more peace and love and happiness.

So, I guess I'm somewhere around 220 miles at this point. Shorter mile days means I can't continue to eat all day long ;-)

I was relieved to see some comments about the news story. I definitely remember getting emotional but wasn't sure what would be aired. I'm okay with it because this is an emotional journey and I know I'm not alone with these feelings.

Still thinking a lot about Tim, Tom and Stiletto (okay, I'll tell you all her real name...Augusta! I love that name.). They should be reaching Canada tomorrow, possibly.

A few people have asked me what my next adventure will be. I would love to do the John Muir trail. But in life there are so many kinds of adventures and we often don't get to choose and plan them. I will just hope it's a positive one.

Hoping Jean and Dennis enjoy their father-daughter day together. I'll see them on the other side of the mountain--

Have a great start to the week everyone!
Zuni Bear

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jocelyn,
    You must be doing something very right, as there has never been an August with such perfect hiking weather. You had mentioned that you might need car shuttle help at journeys end. If so, get word to me and I can be there. Looks like perfect weather through the weekend. Have fun.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete