Friday, August 20, 2010

What a day!

As if climbing up some very challenging and steep cliffs with Jim on our quest to summit Mansfield wasn't enough! Jim was fantastic by the way...We were met at the top by some energetic and super fun(ny) women, Linn Syz and Rhoda Chickering, as well as the folks from channel 3 news! For those of you who don't know this about me, public speaking has been a lifelong fear of mine. My father's funeral service was my first ever attempt and this was my next one. Luckily my mother knew it would be best to simply spring it on me...so I had no idea it was happening. Thank goodness I had Jim Hester by my side. That alone made me feel better. Thank you Jim.

We had a perfect climb, outstanding views and so much to celebrate!

When we reached the Stowe road a car of fellow hikers cheered at the sight of us and told us we had a lot of folks waiting at the picnic area. Good friends, food, PBRs(!) -- Thank you Allen! So sorry I missed you. Congratulations to you and Helen on your new grand baby...

Unfortunately we got down from the mountain too late for me to walk with some of the central Vermont support group. They were gracious and let me simply eat...and visit.

My next hiking partner is my friend Ginger Nickerson. Ginger's mom lives with Parkinson's. G and I hiked up to Sterling Pond for the night and on our way stopped to take a photo of Ginger with the sun setting behind her...we emailed the photo instantly to her mom. Now we are tucked away in our sleeping bags ready to dream of more days like this. Days filled with monumental accomplishments, fears overcome, stories told, phenomenal people, fantastic mountains, brilliant sunsets and the moon lighting our way.

Thank you Jim Hester. You are strong and brave and you my friend are a rock star! Sleep well tonight, recover and know I will never forget you and the time we shared in your backyard...

Thank you to everyone who came to meet us today. You were all such a welcome sight!

Thank you Mom...you've done so much for me now I can't even list it all...my battery would die again.

Onward in the morning with my pal Ginger. It's going to be a good day.

Peace and Happiness to all--
Zuni Bear

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your display of strength and caring! Channel 3 was great!
    George Africa
    Marshfield

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw the channel 3 thing on their website today. You did fantastic, and so did Jim. You two made me cry, though!
    Love what you're doing, Jocelyn. Keep on keepin' on!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joc, Earlier today I met a woman whose husband has been recently diagnosed with Parkinson's. I told her about Peaks for Parkinson's, and showed her this blog. (Her husband is a hiker too.)

    She wanted me to thank you for all that you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post, Jocelyn, as all have been. Thanks so much for taking the initiative to do this; and thanks for inviting Jim. It was HUGE for him, as you well know. I am just so grateful and proud to know you and all those you have gathered around in support. Til we meet again - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zuni Bear,
    This trip was such an important journey for me as I learn to live with PD. It was a rugged 22 miles and took a lot out of me, but taught me so much. I would not have started on the trek if you had not organized Peaks for Parkinsons. After hiking with you for three days, I have a better appreciation of the many obstacles you had to overcome to make it happen. Thank you so much for staying with it. It's hard for me to believe that while I'm resting at home and eating fresh food, you and Ginger are still out there moving North towards Canada. I'm no longer with you on the trail, but my thoughts go with you on each step towards Journey's End. Safe travels.
    Rolling Thunder
    (Jim)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joci - wish I could have seen you Friday but saw the news and it was terrific. This is such a beautiful thing and so many are with you on the trail and in spirit. Thank you for every step. So many others are inspired and will take a step in one form or another. I hope all this helps you get through these wet days.XOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete