Sunday, August 15, 2010

Glen Ellen Lodge

Began the day worried about doing the planned 13-mile day, but it's turned out great. (Denise and Steve...I made it here by 4:20!)

One should really size up the hikers you get info from. One guy told me I had a long way to go but I detected a little smirk. He then told me he hoped I could find the water here. I made it in no time and I can hear the water running from inside the cabin. Luckily I learned this lesson last time and didn't listen to him.

Denise and I had a long day yesterday but today I felt much better. D and I started at Cooley Glen and made our way to Lincoln Gap where we met her husband Steve and their three kids. We all hiked some of Mt Abe, but had to say our goodbyes part way up so I could make my miles today. They are incredible friends and resupplied me with clean clothes, food and more chocolate milk.

Steve and Denise, I am so happy you were able to share this experience with me. You'll have to find time to get to the top of Abe (don't bring Morgan though) it's breathtakingly beautiful up there.

Tomorrow brings 14 miles of, as I recall, somewhat technical hiking over to Appalachian Gap. I'll rest the night before I climb Camel's Hump and then descend down to Bamforth Ridge on Tuesday where I will meet Jim Hester.

No tenting here so I'm sharing the cabin with the mice. I can already hear them.
Time to make dinner. Have I mentioned how awesome Jetboil stoves are? Love them.

Chilly on the mountain tonight. Sleep well everyone.
Zuni Bear

160 miles behind me!

Good night.

2 comments:

  1. 160 miles in 14 days...YOU are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zuni Bear, my 8 year old daughter and I met you on Abe. We are having fun following you on the trail now. Keep trucking!

    ReplyDelete