Saturday, July 31, 2010

Memories

I've been thinking a lot today of my last LT through hike and all the places I will get to visit again, and of my hiking partners, my brother Jeremy and Fletcher Davis. There were times we all laughed so hard we cried. Now...that could have been from exhaustion. I really learned a lot from those two.

This time, I will have multiple hiking partners and I'm sure I will learn many more important life lessons as we go.

As the planning details wind down, I find myself transitioning, downshifting to a slow and steady gear for the long haul. Preparing myself mentally for the physical exhaustion and pain during those first 100 miles. I remember Jeremy and I were talking to a AT hiker and he told us you don't get your trail legs until about 500 miles in. I looked at Jer, then back at the AT hiker and said, 'I guess that means we're never going to feel good then!'

He was wrong. I felt pretty good after about 175 miles...and I'm hoping to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment